It has been reported the two passengers who boarded missing Malaysia Airlines3786.KU 0.00% flight MH370 with stolen passports were Iranians, one of whom was trying to reunited with his mother in German, authorities said on Tuesday.
A statement by Malaysia’s national police chief, Inspector-General Khalid Abu Bakar, identified one of the passengers as 19-year-old Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad. Inspector-General Khalid said Mr. Mehrdad’s mother contacted Malaysian authorities after he failed to arrive on a connecting flight to Frankfurt after the Malaysia Airlines flight disappeared less than an hour after take-off en route to Beijing.
Later, Interpol Secretary-General Ronald Noble told reporters at the agency’s headquarters in Lyon, France, that the second man was also an Iranian, Delavar Seyedmohammedreza.
With regard to Mr. Mehrdad, who was traveling on a passport reported stolen in Thailand last year from 30-year-old Austrian Christian Kozel, didn’t appear to be connected with any terrorist groups, Inspector-General Khalid said, adding that he had been in contact with Iranian authorities. “We believe he was trying to migrate to Germany,” he said. “His mother was expecting him to arrive. She contacted us here, so that is how we know he is the one.”
A source at Interpol suggested that the second man, Mr. Seyedmohammedreza, was also only trying to get to Europe by using a stolen Italian passport. Electronic itineraries viewed by The Wall Street Journal point to Copenhagen as his destination.
Finally, Law enforcement officials’ comments shed some light on one of the most perplexing aspects of flight MH370’s disappearance: that some passengers had checked in and boarded using stolen documents.